Wednesday, July 31, 2013

befuddling... (am.31.jul.13)>

It is absolutely clear as the eastern sky brightens early on this final morning of July 2013.  And where is the fog?  Where is the rain?  Humidity stands at 83%, and I'm recording a low temp of 66.7F (19.3C).

Here are some recent rainfall statistics from my location in the upper part of town:

  • 24 hour rainfall -- 0.03" (1mm)
  • Rainfall in the past week -- 2.33" (5.9cm)
  • Rainall in the past 10 days -- 5.25" (13.3cm)
I'm sure I don't ever remember a stretch of such paltry amounts of rain like this right in the very heart of the monsoon season.  Even on years when I've been away during this time, I've had others monitoring and logging rainfall amounts, and weekly averages are commonly in the 8-10" (20-25cm) range.

The other perplexing thing is that computer models have been constantly churning out data to support moderate to occasionally heavy rainfall amounts for our area -- and it just ain't happening.  By all accounts, conditions remain favorable for the development of significant rainfall here along the Dhauladhars over the course of the next several days, but I don't know what it's going to take to jolt us out of this very weird and unseasonable situation.

The CURRENT FORECAST can be found on the tab above.