Tuesday, August 26, 2014

weak, not gone... (pm.26.aug.14)>

Tuesday's stats:

Low temp: 63.3F (17.4C)
High temp: 77.4F (25.2C)
Rainfall: 0.09" (2mm)

There have been some light rain showers in the area since around 6:00pm this evening, but it was dry up until then, with a mix of clouds and sun all day.  My high temp on Tushita Road just below the mountaineering center (above) was the warmest of the entire month of August.

I really have nothing much to report, in terms of any kind of significant changes in this very weak monsoon phase which has been dominating our weather pattern for the better part of the past two weeks.  We're going to continue dealing with this sun/cloud/occasional fog combo, along with a good chance of at least widely scattered rain shower/thunder development during the afternoon and evening hours.  It's looking more and more like our chances of catching up to normal rainfall amounts for August are very remote, though.

Everywhere I go I overhear people (locals and foreigners alike) saying things like "this year's monsoon is over".  I have to bite my tongue every time I hear it, because if anything, extended range data and computer models are showing increasing tropical moisture and BETTER chances of significant rains as we cross into September.  There's nothing even remotely resembling a permanent end to Monsoon 2014 on the horizon.